The Montgomery County
Volunteer Fire Police Association was organized July 9, 1927 and
became officially chartered in May 1933.
The first fire police
officers in the state of Pennsylvania were appointed in Meadville,
Crawford County in 1896. They had no authority other than that which
could be provided by their fire company and the municipality in which
they served. Legal recognition, Title 35, Act 74 of June, 1941, was
passed to grant Special Fire Police officers necessary police power to
provide such protection. Fire Police could only act in emergency
situations ONLY when their fire department was involved. In 1949, Act
388 was passed and Fire Police were given power to act without fire
company involvement, providing a request to do so was made by a
The objectives of this
Association shall be the general improvement of the Fire Police
service, to promote the welfare of the Fire Police, to arouse interest
in improving our services as Fire Police in certain phases of the Fire
Police procedures, to create the feeling of good will within the
community, and to promote fellowship among all of its members.
The Association shall
uphold and defend the Constitution of the United States of America, the
Constitution of the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania, and the Rules and
Ordinances of the Municipalities of the County of Montgomery.
[ From Article II of the MCVFPA Bylaws ]